Monday 31 October 2011

October 30, 2011

351)  Black Creek Pioneer Village:  Pumpkin Ale by Black Creek Historic Brewery of Ontario:  **;  pumpkin is added to the mash and during the boiling;  flavoured with nutmeg, ginger, cinammon and allspice;  unfiltered and unpasteurized;  very flavourful;

I had the opportunity to be the brewer's apprentice for the day at Black Creek Pioneer Village, dressed in 1860s costume.  I was there seven hours and the time flew by so quickly I didn't think to stop for lunch.  Ed is incredibly enthusiastic and there was not a moment of silence the entire day.  We also had an "interpreter" who served behind the bar and added context and further points of interest for visitors. 

This is North America's only historic brewery and (almost) everything is done as would be done in the 1860s.  There is air conditioning to allow for brewing during the summer months and the heat comes from a gas flame and not burning wood but other than that it is entirely authentic.

We brewed a stout and I was involved in every step from making the mash, transferring it for boiling, adding the hops (twice) and transferring it to the cooling pan and then to the wooden barrel. 

I am waiting for photos to reach my in-box.  My borrowed camera had no power left but an employee pitched in to help me out and now I am checking my e-mail absurdly frequently.

I could go on at (further) length I will leave off the the link:  http://www.blackcreekbrewery.ca/public-events/brewing-with-the-brewmaster.dot.

No comments:

Post a Comment