Saturday 31 December 2011

December 29, 2011

397)  Home:  Black Coal Stout by Railway City Brewing of Ontario:  **1/2;  as I said earlier this one is impossible to find (I think they only brewed enough for 600 bottles) but my brother found it so it's three cheers for him;  notes of sweet mocha with a mild hop presence;  it reminds me of the stout I helped brew a couple of months ago at Black Creek Pioneer Village;

Railway City is among my favourite Ontario breweries.  Dead Elephant IPA is a classic and when it is available I always go looking for Double Dead Elephant double IPA. 

Railway City cannot go wrong with dark beers.  Black Coal is the latest example and in a few weeks I am going to start looking for Sham-Bock.  I found it by accident last year at The Burger Bar & Tequila Tavern.  Their taps change so rapidly that the handles do not always stay current so at the risk of sounding foolish, I always ask what they have even though the handles are in front of me (the outstanding barmaids there would never allow anyone to feel foolish so don't be shy).

Speaking of Dead Elephant, I am seeing it in tins now which makes me think the bottles are being discontinued.  I am hanging on to one bottle for the label which looks a lot nicer than the can.

No comments:

Post a Comment