Saturday 10 November 2012

October 2, 2012

Interesting profile in last month's Citybites magazine on one of Toronto's newest joints, Bar Hop.  I mightn't have agreed with the claim, "Toronto needed a good beer parlour" but the fact is, it's getting harder to squeeze into the places we have. 

I came home on the bus from Union station recently, bemoaning the fact that I couldn't get tipsy in Toronto (which ought to be a movie title or the name of someone's biography or the like), although my wife did point out that if I would settle for Molson Canadian I might not have had such a frustrating time. 

Things started badly.  The 3 Brewers had neither their seasonal, nor their monthy brew and they were out of their bottled selections, Tripel and La Belle Province.  While  I did enjoy a pint of the brown ale I left in search of something new and although it was raining steadily, people were lined up outside any place I wanted to visit and all along the row of bars on the Esplande, which takes in a few I don't want to try.

I wish I could review Bar Hop on King Street West, but the sad fact is they were too busy for me to want to wait to be served.  However, getting back to that Citybites article, it is reported that co-owner James MacDonald successfully aimed to drink 1001 beers in one year.  Quite an achievement - I bow to James MacDonald.

That calculates to about 2.75 beers per day and where I can sympathise is the number of times he must have felt the need to pass up an old favourite in order to add to the total.

No comments:

Post a Comment