Monday 5 August 2013

April 26, 2013

82/730) The 3 Brewers:  April Frenzy (La Folie D'Avril) brewed at The 3 Brewers of Ontario:  *1/2;  a 4.2% sweet, malty Belgian style brew;

83/731) Caffe Volo:  Hop Lust by Church Key Brewing of Ontario:  *1/2;  a 6% American IPA;  bitter, rooty, herbal nose;  earthy bitterness;

84/732)  Caffe Volo:  Johnny Simcoe by Great Lakes Brewery of Ontario:  **;  an American Pale Ale;  very citrusy grapefruit nose;  a great tasting, hoppy, citrusy APA;

85/733)  Caffe Volo:  Westside IPA by House Ales of Ontario:  **1/2;  it was described as a Toronto IPA on the chalkboard - how could I resist?; 7%; with a mild grapefruity hop nose;  delicious citrusy hop flavours;

Now here is a revolting development:  those barrels of peanuts they used to have in the bar areas of The 3 Brewers are gone.  I suppose it was only a matter of time.

It seemed appropriate to order a glass of Johnny Simcoe as tomorrow is 200th anniversary of the Battle of York, though I suspect it was really named for Simcoe hops.  John Graves Simcoe was the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada.  He passed an anti-slavery act in 1793 and he is credited with founding York, which came to be known as Toronto.

House Ales is the Volo's on-house "nano-brewery". 

Looking back at my tasting notes I notice that my handwriting certainly went downhill over the course of the evening. I wish I could blame the darkness that makes the Volo so intriguing but I see that I have written, "OK , I'm wrecked".  I was originally intending to see a performance by medieval ensemble Sine Nomine but when Black Oak's Ken Woods walked in and shook my hand I knew I had made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment