Wednesday 28 August 2013

August 19, 2013


173/821) Shake Shack in Manhattan's Theatre district, East 44th Street at 8th Avenue:  Old Brown Dog Ale by Smuttynose Brewing of New Hampshire, U.S.A.:  **;  this was in a bottle;  pours chestnut;  nutty mocha flavours;  my wife was crazy about this one;

174/822) Shake Shack, Manhattan:  ShackMeister Ale by Brooklyn Brewery of New York, U.S.A.:  *1/2;  a grainy, English style mild ale with a sweet finish; 

The SmokeShack burger might be the best hamburger I have ever eaten.

175/823)  Beecher's Handmade Cheese, East 20th Street near Broadway in the Flatiron district of Manhattan:  Finestkind IPA by Smuttynose Brewing of New Hampshire, U.S.A.:  *1/2:;  this was served in a bottle;  dry, bitter, herbal, with rooty hop notes;

Beecher's makes about as good a grilled cheese sandwich as I have experienced.  Their macaroni and cheese comes highly recommended, though I cannot personally attest to it. 

Would you believe they do not recycle glass in New York City?  I would never have imagined had I not been told twice in one day to just throw it in the garbage.

Speaking of cheese, I happened across a place called the Vintner Café on 9th Avenue between East 46th and 47 Streets.  They had a cooler at the front with a terrific selection of beer, and an incredible selection of cheese at the back.  It is just a tiny little place.  It is easy to see why people love New York.  Here are four reasons:


176/824) McSorley's Old Ale House, East 7th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue:  Draft Ale by McSorley's Ale House, U.S.A.:  **;  sweet maltiness; an old school English style ale;

177/825)  McSorley's Old Ale House:  Draft Porter by McSorley's Old Ale House, U.S.A.:  **;  mocha-ish sweetness;  like the above it's not overly complex and, yes, I am probably adding an extra half star to both in deference to my surroundings;

Visiting McSorley's was at the top of my list when I knew we were going to New York City.  McSorley's was established in 1854 meaning it has endured the Civil War, the depression and prohibition.  Women were not allowed inside until a law suit in the 1970s or so and even then the fine print didn't say they had to build a second loo so for a number of years they didn't.  I gather things were rather informal for a time.  My wife couldn't imagine why a woman would want to visit but she was a good sport about the whole evening.

NYU is nearby and the place was packed with tables of boisterous students singing loudly.  Our waiter came by and offered us a table closer to the front but we declined.  It was a kind gesture, though. 

They only have the dark and the pale and $5.50 gets you two glasses.

McSorley's is smaller than I had imagined but the interior did not disappoint.  The floors were covered with sawdust and it would not surprise me to learn that the bar and furnishings were originals.  I didn't chance the gent's room but it couldn't have been worse than Jack's a couple of nights ago.

Of course the lighting was not great but my wife did get a few snaps:




No comments:

Post a Comment