Monday 21 April 2014

December 14, 2013

306/955)  Home:  Winterbeard Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout Vintage Brew by Muskoka Cottage Brewery of Ontario:  **;  8%;  this is last year's brew cellar aged for a year;  brewed with 70% dark chocolate, "real cocoa" powder and nibs, freshly harvested cranberries;  the nose is sweet alcohol.;  sweet cranberry flavours give way to chocolate and warming alcohol;  in contrast to our experience with Westvleteren XII, I prefer this to the original while my wife prefers the fresher version;

307/956)  Home:  Old Crafty Hen by Morland Brewing of England:  *1/2;  6.5%;  brewed with a blend of Famous Old 5X matured in oak;  English hop nose;  given the build up it's pretty ordinary;  English hop flavours with mild oak notes;  Old 5X is a strong (12%) ale matured for one to five years in wooden tuns;  I wonder if I really "got" this one, or how fresh the bottle I tried was;  it is worth trying again, given the story;



No comments:

Post a Comment