Saturday 19 April 2014

November 22, 2013

This is the day I have been dreading.  I figured that Brian's last shift would be like any other Friday and if I was intending to stay until the end I had better not arrive too early for the sake of my health.


At quitting time I went to the YMCA and I went for a run and since there is always filing to be done I returned to the office.  At about eleven I decided it would be safe to show up at Tracks and when I arrived Brian was there but he was on the other side of the bar.  It turned out that things were slow so at nine it was agreed that he could pack it in early.


When I asked who got the last pint he poured people thought about it for a minute and a name came up and Brian said that wouldn't do so he set down his glass and with his coat still on he poured one final pint for me.


I have imagined receiving more honours than is the case but I can't imagine treasuring one more than Brian's last pint at Tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment