Monday 21 April 2014

November 30, 2013

This was the night of Brian's going away party.  We had a series of gifts for him and he gave a wonderful talk.  He related a story he had told in my presence before but it was fun to hear again about his very first day at Tracks (March 25, 1986) .  At the time there was a fine dining spot called Houston's next door (the sign remains to this day).  One entered and walked to the left for Tracks or to the right for Houston's.  I never did visit Houston's.

Brian's first customer asked for a Becks.  Brian heard Ex.  The same has happened to me as a customer but my reaction was not to ask the party on the other side of the bar if he was deaf or just ****ing stupid.

Over the past couple of weeks I have received a number of Brian-hugs but I can state without fear of contradiction that it will be difficult to find credible witnesses willing to testify under oath that there were tears that night.

I feel badly for any drinker anywhere else at any other time.  The best they can hope for is to be served by the second finest in the history of the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment