Saturday 8 November 2014

October 24, 2014

241/1222) Caffe Volo:  Victory at Sea (with Cacao and Peppers) by Ballast Point of California:  **;   a 10% coffee vanilla imperial porter;  on cask;  hot pepper spices;  coffee vanilla nose;  very hot and spicy throughout with dark coffee notes;  I am reminded of Mexican hot chocolate;

I usually drink beer to deal with the sensations I was experiencing.  Mercifully, the barmaid had warned me and had counselled me to go with less than a pint.  It might have been fatal otherwise.  This was a Cask Days one-off, brewed with cacao nibs and Bhut Jolakia ghost peppers, which can be quite pungent, as my late mother-in-law would say. I would absolutely try this one again and I look forward to encountering the original, un-peppered version as well.

242/1223) Caffe Volo:  Northern Hemisphere Fresh Hopped Harvest Pale Ale by Sierra Nevada of California:  *1/2;  a 6.7% wet hopped IPA;  on cask;  the promise given by the strong floral hop nose is not filled by the mellow flavours - a disappointment;

It was uncommonly bright in the Volo.  They appear to have installed some light fixtures which to my mind hurts the atmosphere of the place but I might be saying this because I look more handsome in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment