Monday 12 January 2015

December 19, 2014

281/1262)  C'est What:  Citradiction by Great Lakes Brewery of Ontario:  **;  4.4%, 40 ibu;  strong piney hop nose;  earthy hopped flavours;

This was Mark Hutchison's last night at C'est What before joining Black Oak.  I couldn't let the day pass without stopping in to tender my congratulations and my thanks.  Black Oak are getting a good man.

282/1263) beerbistro:  Hypnopompa Imperial Stout by Omnipollo of Sweden:  ***/2;  11%;  this is their second batch of this brew and only 1000 cases exist worldwide;  aged in bourbon barrels;  brewed with 100 pounds of marshmallows and Tahitian vanilla beans "the size of cigars";  very low carbonation - almost no foam to speak of;   soft, syrupy mouthfeel;  the nose is a complex blend of herbal notes, dates, raisins, figs, dried fruit, oak and bourbon;  on sitting, the vanilla begins to emerge in the nose and the oak becomes stronger;  no hint of  the marshmallow;  almost medicinal flavours with a biting alcohol finish;  not as sweet as I had expected;  a slow and warming sipper;  there is a hint of coffee at finish;  the marshmallow seems to contribute to the mouthfeel more than anything;

This has been in the beerbistro's "Beer Bible" since October.  As I arrived and was looking for a seat I felt a hand on my back and heard the words. "We've got it!" and soon after another server came by to share the news.  I suppose I have been making a pest of myself.  Both servers came by later to exchange thoughts on this fascinating beer.

This was a bottled selection.


No comments:

Post a Comment