Monday 14 December 2015

October 3, 2015

231/1505) C'est What:  Red Eye Coffee IPA by Black Oak of Ontario:  **;  7%,  80 ibu;  a blend of hops and coffee to nose;  strong coffee flavours and after taste;  the hops are largely obscured;  very unusual;

232/1506)  C'est What:  Iron Lion Rum Barrel Aged Stout by Stone City Ales of Ontario:  **1/2;  55 ibu, 8.7%;  strong, sweet boozy coffee nose;  flavours of root beer, cola, oak;  soda like mouth feel

This was the night of Nuit Blanche.  As per usual I pulled a Cinderella.  Large crowds typically attract great numbers of drunk young people who are ever so keen to let everyone see and (especially) hear how drunk they are.  This sort of thing lost its charm quite some time ago.

I hear tell there was some hooliganism after I was safely on my way out of the downtown and it was later announced that a decision had been made by the Scotiabank Group in February to reduce the funding for this event.

It pains me to say that the experience has been in decline over the years.  At one time, guide books were made available at Scotiabank branches well ahead of the event which allowed for many hours of pleasureful planning.  Then the book was only available on the night in question at one of three locations and this year it was a mere flyer.  A participant had little idea which exhibits would be of interest in advance and with no "must-sees" I just ended up wandering about.  I did make a point of visiting the installations that remained open during subsequent days and in future I could well limit my participation to no more than this.  But it was great fun when it was at its peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment