Saturday 22 July 2017

June 11, 2017

Earlier this year the Canadian Brewing Awards created some controversy over a decision to restrict entry to “Canadian-owned commercial brewers and cider makers”, a change from previous years where it was only necessary for a product to be brewed in Canada for consideration.  One wonders if the awards won by unfashionable brands like Coors, Molson, Keith's and Budweiser in past have called their street cred into question.

In addition, they neglected to mention this upcoming change when they were soliciting the companies with deep pockets for sponsorship.

As a result the Beer Store and Beer Canada are withdrawing their support.

The usual suspects are clucking their approval but I find this uncommonly short-sighted.  What it means for me is that should I wish to nominate the Old Mill from Tracks Brewpub I will first need to have a word with Roger.  He was born in Sri Lanka, attended university in Germany and spent time learning to be a chef in France, according to my sources.  What I don't know is whether or not he ever became a Canadian citizen and now because of the new eligibility rules I have to know the citizenship of the owner of Tracks Brewpub, as if it were my business to know this.

No comments:

Post a Comment