Sunday 16 July 2017

May 6, 2017

147/1965) The 3 Brewers, Adelaide Street:  Eclipse by The 3 Brewers of Ontario:  **;  the Adelaide Street locations'  contribution to the # Brewers' Master Brewer Challenge;  a hybrid brown ale/ golden ale;  retains much of the character of the brown ale but it's lighter and the finish is more bitter;

This was a quick stop on the way to a Cask Social.  From the announcement, in reference to Roger Pettet:  "It will seem strange to hold a CASK! Social without him. This will be neither the first nor the last opportunity to raise a glass to Roger, but be assured that he will be much on our minds. Glasses will be raised and stories will be swapped."

148/1966) Birreria Volo:  Ice Hole APA by Great Lakes Brewery of Ontario:  **;  on cask;  mildly citrusy, near lemony nose;  pleasant citrus notes; 

Not only was this my only cask selection of the day, it was also the only full pint I had.  In fact, at Birreria Volo their small size is a five ounce pour which suits me fine as there is always to much there I want to try.  

Once we had settled into our beers, Nicholas Pashley gave a tribute to Roger which he began by leading us in a round of applause for a life well lived.  I thought that was particularly nice.  

149/1967) Birreria Volo:  Left Of The Dial Mild, a collaboration between Amsterdam and Bar Volo of Ontario:  *1/2;  a 4.2% English mild;  sweet malty, mildly chocolatey nose;  rich and malty;
I found it interesting that they used the term Bar Volo and not House Ales but I suspect there is no significance to it and I am over-thinking things.

150/1968) Birreria Volo:  Le Voisin, a collaboration between Left Field Brewery and Godspeed Brewery of Ontario:  **;  a 6.4% citrus pale ale with sacch. Trois and yuzu;  fresh lemony nose;  refreshing lemony citrus flavours;

Not only are Left Field and Godspeed both from Ontario, they are both located in the East end of Toronto hence the name of the collaboration brew which translates as "The Neighbour".

151/1969) Birreria Volo:  Invigorator by Tooth & Nail of Ontario:  **;  7.3% Doppelbock;  malty nose with a hint of alcohol, however, the alcohol does not carry over to flavours which are rich and malty with a hint of sweetness, especially at that sugary finish;

152/1970) Birreria Volo:  Lambik by Oud Beersel Brewery of Belgium:  *1/2;  a 6% one year aged unblended lambic;  tart, mildly smoky nose;  cidery, funky tart flavours;

I know this is a well regarded beer so maybe that 1.5 makes me a mean drunk.

On my way to the street car I passed a shop selling sushi burritos.  I gave up imagining I had seen it all some time ago.

153/1971) The 3 Brewers, Yonge Street:  Sans Souci by The 3 Brewers of Ontario:  **;  4%, 5 ibu;  a sour wheat but not your typical sour;  nose is tart with strawberry and, believe it or don't, cinnamon notes;  tart cidery flavours, bubbly mouth feel but what I can't get over is that nose:  any bakery would envy that aroma;  their entry in the Master Brewers Challenge;


I will be scanning the news for reports of seismic activity in the vicinity of John Denver's grave.  While I was sitting here someone quoted "Chantal Krevisiak", "I'm leaving on a jet plane.  Don't know when I'll be back again" which is surely another sign of the impending apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment