Tuesday 26 December 2017

December 21, 2017

394/2212) beerbistro:  Naughty Hildegard ESB by Driftwood Brewery of British Columbia:  **;  6.5%;  surprisingly hoppy for a beer label an ESB with citrus and mango notes; 

Hildegard of Bingen was a nun (as the tenth child she was a tithe), scholar, writer, composer, botanist, chemist, apothecary, mystic and visionary, among other items on her resume, and she also may have been one of the first to add hops to beer.  I continue to be an easy mark for a beer with a fun name but so long as I keep being rewarded in this manner I am unlikely to reform.

395/2213) beerbistro:  Spéciale Nöel by Abbaye des Rocs of Belgium:  **1/2;  triple fermented, unfiltered;  the nose reminds me of fruitcake;  starts sweet and finishes dry with notes of caramel and fruitcake; 

This was one of the beerbistro's 12 Beers of Christmas.  I was in town to skate at Harbourfront, wonderful as always, and to participate in the Winter Solstice labyrinth walk.  For those following along, Sine Nomine is back after hiatus and so is Poculi Ludique Societas but I missed both Advent events largely because I wasn't "feeling it" which teaches that I ought to learn to compartmentalize my life.

396/2214) Home:  Saison by Le Debauche of France:  *1/2;   7%;  musty nose;  yeasty, astringent, musty flavours;  lingering dry peppery finish; 


No comments:

Post a Comment